I make things for the web.
Check out my talks, "The Accidental Sysadmin", "Help, I've been hacked!" and my latest, "Getting started with GitHub".
- Getting started with GitHub Here’s a presentation I did recently on the topic of “Getting Started with GitHub” for WIMP. Unfortunately this presentation was not recorded so I can’t offer a video. Download the slide deck (PDF)
- Checking out jekyll-admin Hey, it’s an inline editor for Jekyll!
- Getting started with Jekyll and GitHub Pages TL;DR: Static sites are simpler, more secure, and way faster than dynamic sites and you should totally use them!
- SVG: Is there anything they can't do? I’ve been using SVG images more and more lately, in my front-end work. They’re so wonderful for line art logos, icons, and all manner of art that you wish to remain razor-sharp at any resolution.
- Using the Giphy API What's more fun than putting LOLCATS on your page? And getting a random, different animated cat every time? We can easily do this using the awesome Giphy API!
- Help, I've been hacked! I was fortunate to give an impromptu talk on web server security and how to recover from a hacked site.
- Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you Here’s a quick slide deck from a WIMP talk I contributed to on February 22, 2016 on the topic of hardening your web, application, and database server from hackers and other nuisances.
- Inline Sass with Jekyll Here’s a nice way to run your critical CSS inline with Jekyll when using Sass and GitHub Pages.
- Performant websites with Jekyll, Grunt, GitHub Pages, and CloudFlare Ridiculously comprehensive set of tools and techniques for optimizing your Jekyll/gh-pages site for speed.
- Optimizing Assets in Jekyll-generated GitHub pages Here’s a nice way to minify (optimize) your HTML in Jekyll pages. No plugins are required, so this works with GitHub Pages sites. (Documentation)
Things I in no particular order: Drupal, CSS, jQuery, Bootstrap, PHP, MySQL, minimalist design, sensible UI/UX, Apache, accessibility, web site page speed, security, REST APIs, cartography, typography. This site was built by hand using Markdown, Jekyll, and GitHub Pages.